Learning Objectives for this Lesson:
- Name and discuss the five basic principles of appreciative inquiry (AI)
- Name and discuss types of AI used in coaching
- Demonstrate the skill of positive reframing within a coaching conversation
- Use AI to facilitate the development of a client’s positive vision (or desired future) within a coaching conversation
- Use AI to co-create goals and action plans in the service of that positive vision (or desired future) within a coaching conversation
- Keep coaching conversations light, interesting, and engaging.
- Use AI to improve and transform the coaching relationship
What is the Appreciative Inquiry approach?
In this lesson, we will continue to expand on coach role-playing, using more reflection and intuition. The objectives for this lesson will include learning more powerful coaching techniques that tap into your intuitions and allow you to truly understand what you are hearing from each client. One of the “doing” skills in wellness coaching is the art of asking open-ended questions and this will serve as the transition into our introduction to appreciative inquiry (AI). AI is such a big part of our daily activities as coaches because as you will see, it’s a big part of imagining the client’s vision for change. AI is also described as a way of clarifying what the client wants or where they are looking to go. We want to talk to our clients so we can learn more about how to direct or guide them to create a vision of their wellness. This includes where they want to go and what they want to accomplish.